Zillow Neighborhood Expert

Eloise Morano on Zillow

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Secrets of the Tomato Whisperers

Hey Bloggerson the lake,

I can't believe this really works - but it does.

Hot humid weather makes it difficult for tomato blossoms to pollinate themselves - mostly because the pollen gets too sticky - it needs to be able to travel and waft in the breeze enough to reach other blossoms.

You know you have this problem when the blossoms drop - or just fail to start producing a tomato.

A horticulturist shared this tip with me - and I have tested it.
I have the ripening tomatoes to prove it - where before I had blossom drop.
I now have the dubous distinction of actually saying that I have performed reproduction on my own tomatoes....

All you do is this:
Head out to the garden in the early AM, before any heat has started to build.
Gently shake the plants, making sure that you are shaking stalks containing any blossoms that you see.

That's it. That's all. And it works.

Happy tomato shaking,
Eloise

No comments: